Does Your Child Have Asthma? Do You Smell A Musty Odor? You Might Have Mold!

Despite our advances in medicine, more and more children are developing asthma. One of the leading contributors to asthma development is water damaged environments.  Water damaged environments may then lead to mold growth which may then lead to asthma development or exacerbation.

In the United States, more than six million children have asthma.  While genetics may play a significant role, so does indoor air quality.  Child asthma development and exacerbation has been linked to poor indoor air quality, mold growth and damp buildings.  This might seem simple, but the relationship between damp indoor environments and respiratory ailments is complicated.  There are several mechanisms by which mold can cause asthma development and exacerbation.  First, mold lets off spores that can cause allergic reactions.  These allergic reactions are associated with asthma.  Second, the mold spores themselves can act as an irritant.  Third, mold gives off a gas known as a volatile organic compound (that nasty musty odor) which can also make you ill.

But, fortunately for San Diego tenants, new information is coming out supporting the association between damp indoor environments and respiratory problems in children.   Between 2001 and 2003, researchers and the University of Cincinnati investigated the relationship between damp indoor environments and childhood asthma development.   They collected data samples, including dust, from almost 300 homes with children.    Researchers found that almost 30% of children in homes with high dust levels and mold had developed asthma.  More specifically, the isolated molds were Aspergillus and Penicillium which are extremely common in water damaged buildings.  As mold lawyers in San Diego, we find this data both enlightening and alarming at the same time.

Additionally, the researchers and those that inspected the homes smelled for evidence of toxic mold.  This revealed that homes without objective data indicating mold still resulted in childhood asthma because of the strong musty odor.   Remediation improved the child’s asthma.

What does this mean for you and your family?  If your home has suffered any water damage and/or you smell a musty odor you must call a professional inspector right away.   The longer you and your children remain in this poor indoor environment, the greater the possibility of long term health effects.  Call the award winning lawyers at Thompson | Wedeking right away at 619.615.0767 or email Anthony Thompson at  We have a network of the most reliable water damage and mold specialists in San Diego.  Poor indoor air quality is not something to be taken lightly.  Call an experienced San Diego mold lawyer today!