Moisture and mold problems in school and day care buildings can be caused by a variety of defective conditions. Some of these conditions can be attributed to old buildings but also new building practices. To save money new construction creates a tighter building envelope which prevents the building from self-ventilating. Toxic mold problems in schools and day care centers are further associated with a lack of maintenance or deferred maintenance. Tight budgets and old buildings along with property defects can create a fertile ground for a school’s toxic mold growth.
Children are highly susceptible to the effects of a water damaged environment and mold. Their immune systems are not as highly developed as adults to musty odors, toxic mold and water damage have to potential for life long consequences.
As a parent, you are generally not present at the school or day care, so you have a difficult time assessing the environment. Teachers and administrators can become desensitized to their surroundings. But, it is up to you to know the warning signs to protect your children’s health.
It is important to keep in mind the following symptoms may be related to a poor indoor environment at a school or day care center:
Further, you should keep an eye out for the environmental warning signs at the school or day care center:
Moisture and mold problems can be serious issues for our children. If you believe your child is being exposed to an unhealthy environment in his/or her daycare or school, it is important to act immediately. Your child’s long-term health could be at risk. Call our toxic mold attorneys at 619.615.0767 to schedule a free, confidential consultation.
If you or a loved one has been in an accident contact Thompson Injury Law today.